Sports Licensing 

Legalise gambling, betting on sports in India: Law Commission

The Law Commission on Thursday recommended that gambling and betting on sports, including cricket, be allowed as regulated activities taxable under the direct and indirect tax regimes and used as a source for attracting foreign direct investment (FDI). The panel, which submitted its report to law minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, said that as it was not possible to completely prevent these activities, “effective regulation” seemed to be the only viable option According to a PTI report, the commission also seeks stringent measures and make the entire operation a cashless transaction…

Read More
Sports Licensing 

India’s Nazara Technologies acquires 70% stake in Kenyan sports betting firm

Despite ongoing uncertainties regarding local tax compulsions, India-based social and mobile gaming operator Nazara Technologies has bought into Kenya’s real-money sports betting market. If a report in Weetracker is to be believed, Nazara has bought a 70% stake in the Kenyan subsidiary NZ World Kenya Ltd, while the remaining 30% stake will be controlled by its local partner. It also has secured a betting license from the ‘Betting Control Board of Kenya’ to operate certain products within the gamut of the permit. The company has a focus on emerging markets…

Read More
Sports Licensing 

US abolishes federal ban on sports betting: Is ‘acche din’ on the cards for India?

In what could be termed as a major announcement for sports fans, the US Supreme Court in a majority verdict in Murphy (Governor of New Jersey) versus National Collegiate Athletic Association abolished the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act, 1992 (PASPA) on May 14. PASPA was a federal legislation that prevented states from promoting, operating, licensing and authorizing sports betting. Under the above-mentioned law, all but four US states were barred from permitting sports betting. The Supreme Court, on the basis of the violation of ‘anti-commandeering’ principle, ruled out the…

Read More
%d bloggers like this: