“May the force be with you” – Yes! You read it right Jedis! Get ready to grab your lightsabers and channel the force as Star Wars Day has arrived.
Star Wars Day is celebrated on May 4 with millions of fans and followers celebrating around the globe.
Star Wars is probably one of the first film franchises to become a part of modern pop-culture. The characters of Luke, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Darth Vader, Yoda and many others had a huge impact on the audience and continue to be relevant in popular culture.
This year’s Star Wars Day will mark the first since the death of actress Carrie Fisher who played Princess Leia in the movies.
Here’s a complete breakdown:
Why May 4 is celebrated as ‘Star Wars Day’?
Some might think that the release of the first Star Wars film, Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope, is the reason behind the naming, but that wasn’t! One of the most popular phrases from the film, “May the Force be with you”, is said in the Star Wars movies as a way of saying good luck to people who believe in the force. Fans decided to celebrate May fourth as Star Wars day as a play on the words, ‘May the Fourth be with You’. Indeed Interesting!
From Princess Leia to young Jedi Rey, the characters are capturing the imagination of women and girls of all ages. The 501st Legion are an international group of Star Wars enthusiasts who dress in full costume and raise money for charity.
How the world is celebrating?
Not only fans are embracing the fandom, several companies are coming up with interesting fashion, accessories and merchandises to celebrate the event.
- Snapchat celebrates Star Wars Day with 3D Chewbacca lens and selfie mask. There are also filters, stickers, and Snap Map tricks celebrating the blockbuster series of films.
- Official Luke Skywalker boots arrive for Star Wars Day. The installment is a “leather Chelsea boot with finger gores, featuring a removable elasticated gaiter, which can be worn with the boot, as featured in the film or without, as an ankle boot. It is available to pre-order (globally) for USD 225 /305 with delivery slated for July.
- Po-Zu recently released a pair of sneakers inspired by the best character in the Star Wars universe – the Millennium Falcon!
- In honor of May 4, Donut Parlor in Tempe has created “galaxy” doughnuts and plans to sell them throughout the month.
Hallmark announces plans to celebrate with new products in Hallmark Gold Crown stores.
Hot offers to avail on May 4:
- On the Hot Wheels site, save 25 percent off all Hot Wheels Star Wars items using the promo code “STARWARS” through Sunday.
- Gap has a page full of Star Wars deals including free shipping using the code “MAYTHE4TH”.
All new Star Wars-themed lands at Disney Land and Disney World:
The team have shared new details about the new 14-acre sites in both Florida and California, which will feature themed shops and restaurants, as well as two main attractions.
These two new immersive lands will transport guests to a never-before-seen planet, a remote trading port and one of the last stops before wild space where Star Wars characters and their stories come to life.
The remote trading port, a collaboration between Disney and Star Wars, is a mysterious destination somewhere on the Outer Rim lying on the edge of the unknown regions.
With ‘Star Wars’ toys, the force may be strong, but retail sales aren’t…
Hasbro saw a decline in revenue during the fourth quarter time period of 2017 with poor sales from their Star Wars product lines contributing to the downturn. Hasbro’s overall revenue fell 2 percent in the fourth quarter, and its shares have lost 7.8 percent of their value this year.
Hasbro said earnings in the latest period took a $2.35 per share hit from changes in the U.S. tax law. It said it posted a net loss of $5.3 million, or 4 cents per share, down from a net profit of $192.7 million, or $1.52 per share, a year ago.
The September bankruptcy filing of Toys “R” Us, which makes up about 15% of the market, added to the challenges for Star Wars sales growth this year, though the company continued to market the toys.
The company said it doesn’t see the fall in sales as “Star Wars fatigue,” but rather a result of the timing of the merchandise release and advertisements.
In the first half of 2017, tough comparisons to previous Star Wars sales contributed to declines in the building products and action figure categories, according to market research firm NPD.
Take a look at top merchandises of the ‘Star Wars’:
From the millennium Falcon by Lego to the “First Solo: A Star Wars Story” action figures, check out the best merchandises so far…
Meanwhile, if you are in Mumbai, here’s how you can enjoy this day…
- At the Cuckoo Club in Bandra, catch a screening of Laugh It Up, Fuzzball: The Family Guy Trilogy. The parody features The Family Guy characters portray roles from the original saga. You can get the tickets at a mere Rs 250.
- For a deep dive into all things Star Wars, make your way to The Habitat in the Khar, where the good folks of The Geek Fruit have planned a fun extravaganza. It begins with a live recording of an episode for their podcast, where they discuss Star Wars-related topics with special guests. Then, they will host trivia quizzes and games, where you can win exciting merchandise. You can get the tickets at a mere Rs 100.
As of now, the fans are excited about the release of the upcoming Solo: A Star Wars Story. The movie will trace the journey of Han Solo and will be set in the era before the events of Star Wars: A New Hope. Solo is being directed by Ron Howard and is produced by Lucasfilm. The film will release on May 25, 2018.